Drumroll please....

Posted by Elena B. , Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:12 PM

I'm going! To Brazil that is. As in, I actually purchased my ticket! Don't you want to know where I'm going? I'm sure the suspense is killing you, because obviously my choice of city is all you've been thinking about for the past several weeks, right? Oh wait, no, that's all I've been thinking about.

So, I bought my ticket to.....RECIFE!


(image found here)

Now, having said that, I'm not sure if I'll actually decide to live in Recife, but here's my reasoning. Recife is a large city (3 million plus people, depending on how you count the city versus 'metropolitan area) and seems to have a lot going for it in terms of cultural interest (music scene, architecture, etc), is on the coast, in the northeast, and I don't think I'd be bored. It also has a reputation for being dangerous though....but, if I don't like it, Olinda is a smaller city right next door, and I have a feeling I'll really like it there. Then there's also Joao Pessoa, which is only a couple hours away. JP seems perfect, except for the fact that there seem to be a ton of foreigners there, so I think I'd have a hard time finding work teaching English. So I'm planning on spending my first couple weeks visiting all three cities and seeing which one I like best, and to check out job opportunities.

Have I ever been there? Nope. So I'm excited to get to know a new part of Brazil, but I'm also freaking out a little. Let's review the situation. For a year and a half, I dated a Bahiano (Brazilian from the state of Bahia) long distance. We were totally in love, and for the last 10 months of our relationship, I considered moving there to be with him, and eventually decided to. I spent months researching, fantasizing, and mentally planning out how things might turn out. Then, out of no where, he broke up with me. So.....I decided that he didn't get to take away all of my dreams and excitement, so I was going to go anyway. At first I was set on still going to Salvador, because I love it there, and it felt comfortable. I knew my way around (more or less). I knew what neighborhoods I would want to live in, and those that I should avoid. I had a couple (two, exactly) friends there. Basically, the break up caused the world to collapse in under me, suddenly my plans were stolen, and even contemplating taking on the challenge of going somewhere new gave me butterflies. But I gave myself time to think about it, and I talked to a lot of people about it (a special shout out to Paulistinha from My life in Havaianas for forcing me to think about things from another perspective), and I realized that going back to the city that held so many memories of my relationship and where my ex still lives, would make my life really really difficult. And in the end, I think I'll be much happier somewhere new, even though it will mean starting over. Or perhaps because it will mean starting over.

So, I'm going to a new place, by myself, where I don't know anyone, have to find a place to live, and have to find a job. Who came up with this plan?!?! Ok, so I do sort of know someone, a friend from college who is from Olinda, but she's a senior now so she won't be there when I arrive because she'll be in Massachussets. Luckily, I think she'll help connect me with her friends and family, and possibly even a job opportunity, so that may help. But, I'm still getting nervous! I leave March 10th, in less than 2 months!

Oh! Also, I think I'm going to try to rent a room in a shared apartment with other young people. It'll be a good way to meet people, improve my portuguese, and have a bit of a support system, and it'll be cheaper. But I could end up with roommates from hell...I'm mostly just worried that I'll feel very isolated in my own apartment (though I can afford it if I need to). What do you guys think?

So....if anyone has advice for going to LIVE in a new place (I've travelled alone but that's totally different) basically on your own, I'd love to hear it. And if anyone has any connections in Recife/Olinda/Joao Pessoa, please do share :) Especially any housing/job info, but I'm up for new friends too! Basically, I just love comments :) So any lurkers out there, feel free to join in, I promise I don't bite!

Wait! I almost forgot! What the heck do I do about my blog name/title? I guess I have to keep the url the same, right? Or is there any way to change it through blogger without starting a new blog? If I do have to keep the url, I can at least change title that shows up on the page....but I'm drawing a blank as to what I should title it. Girl Meets Brazil? It doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

11 Response to "Drumroll please...."

Anonymous Says:

So happy for you. Parabens!!
I'd just add an "s" to the end of the title and not change anything.
Girl meets Brazilian Boys =0)
Yes, that is excellent....and you will!!

Tracy Says:

Yay Elena! This will be the best part yet of your Brazilian adventure, I promise. I hope Recife treats you well. Arrasa!

Mallory Elise Says:

Hello Elena!~

thank you for the kind words on my blog--i am so sorry about the news, i cant believe i missed the story when it happened. u have been slacking in blog reading :( the diffucluty of long distance is that when things do get troublesome it is very confusing and you feel powerless, so sorry to hear. But you sound like you are going strong! like everyone says, breakups happen. I never had a devastating breakup but i was the cause of one (yes im a terrible home wrecker)and it is terrible feeling from any side (different feeling, but haunting none the less).

but. youre still in love with brazil! i hope Recife turns out for you, it does not have the best reputation compared to the south, but maybe after a while living there you'll decide to move down here! it's a completely different world. so you must come visit!

take care of yourself in Recife, visit the http://www.expat-blog.com/ to find other peeps in the area. as for your blog, perhaps you could turn it into something with Recife in the title, like "Recifense Eyes" or something...

either way, welcome to Brazil!

Anonymous Says:

That is great news! I am glad you are going for yourself! You will meet lots of people and establish your own network of friends. I have not been to Recife/Olinda, but I heard its beautiful. I have yet to visit the Northeast.:)

Rachel Says:

Congrats on the trip! I've been to Recife and JP before. I have to say, be careful in Recife! I live in Rio and I felt a little nervous at times there. But there's a lot to see and do. Some AMAZING food! My husband has a great Aunt who lives there. I don't see her being of any help but if I think of someone I will let you know.

JP is a beautiful town! It's also quite small. There is an amazing Brazilian panqueca (sp?) restaurant there.

Good for you for going forward with your dreams! You will have an amazing time! Chin up, some days are harder than others but they pass and are very pale in comparison to the good days :)

Pernambuco Gypsy Says:

How are you getting on in Recife? Have the locals driven you mad yet?!

Jô~ Says:

Que bom que você tá vindo para o Brasil! Encontrei teu blog atraves dos blogs de outros estrangeiros que vivem aqui no Brasil, Espero que as pessoas aqui sejam gentis com você, em relação as cidades, Recife está um pouco perigosa, João Pessoa é uma cidade maravilhosa, é a capital do meu estado e tenho certeza que você vai se impressionar com a cultura de lá, totalmente diferente da do Sul do país, lá tem uns condomínios muito bonitos e hospitaleiros nas proximidades das praias, assim como Recife, não importa a cidade, de um jeito ou de outro, acho que você vai adorar!

Shay Says:

Hi! I just found your blog and realized that I had read your story on the Loving From a Distance forum last year. It caught my attention because I too am in a long distance relationship with a Carioca since Nov. 2010.
I'm so sorry to hear about your breakup. I myself am going through a divorce so there are many emotions I am still processing day to day.

I'd love to know where you ended up in Brazil and how you are doing? I'm from South Carolina by the way. Nice to meet you.

Gilda Says:

Hi Elena! how are you?

We could put your link in the following blogs:

http://latinohostels.com
http://pousadasehostels.com
http://hostelsuruguayos.com
http://hostalesperuanos.com
http://hostelschilenos.com
http://hostelsargentos.com

In exchange, I would ask you to put the following links in your web:

Title: Hostel Rio de Janeiro
URL: http://www.chelagarto.com/index.php/pt/hostels-em-rio-de-janeiro.html
Description: Che Lagarto Hostel em Rio de Janeiro está localizado no Rua Barata Ribeiro 111, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.


Title: Hostel Santiago
URL: http://www.hostalprovidencia.com/
Description: Hostal Providencia in Santiago de Chile is located in Av. Vicuña Mackenna 92, Santiago de Chile.

Title: Hostel Florianopolis
URL: http://www.chelagarto.com/index.php/en/hostel-in-florianopolis.html
Description: Che Lagarto Hostel in Florianopolis is located in Prefeito Acácio Garibaldi S. Thiago Av 300, Lagoa da Conceicao, Florianopolis, Brazil

Title: Hostel Paraty
URL: http://www.chelagarto.com/index.php/en/hostel-in-paraty.html
Description: Che Lagarto Hostel in Paraty is located in Rua Benina Toledo do Prado 22, Paraty, Brazil.

Title: Hostel Ilha Grande
URL: http://www.chelagarto.com/index.php/en/hostel-in-ilha-grande.html
Description: Che Lagarto Hostel in Ilha Grande is located in Vila de Abraão, Canto da Praia S/N, Ilha Grande, Brazil.

Title: Hostel Buzios
URL: http://www.chelagarto.com/index.php/en/hostel-in-buzios.html
Description: Che Lagarto Hostel in Buzios is located in Rua Da Paz 7, Buzios, Brazil.


If it’s ok for you, please send me an email telling me how you’d like your link, and I’ll add it. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Gilda

isack Says:

Tourists coming to know Brazil and think that Brazil is a country unison.
Brazil is huge. There are many social and cultural differences.
There is a huge cultural shock. On account of this violence, racism and regionalism. As the U.S. South, North, East and West.
There are educated, civilized, humble and honest people as there are many thieves, exploiters, rogues and ignorant people.

The North, Northeast and Midwest regions are very poor. They are exploited by corrupt oligarchies that dominate the politics.
The Southeast and South regions are richer, but unfortunately live in a bizarre contrast due the huge EXODOS caused by poverty in the northeast.
The country is beautiful but sadly lacking. The people have a beautiful culture, unique and perfect but education is our deficit.
I hope you've met cool places and cool and honest people.
Unfortunately corruption of politicians since the time of colonization ruined our people.

Respect, greetings and cheers from SP.

Note: I luv Misfits and Danzig, Erik Rutan from Morbid Angel and Sarah Vaughan and Ice T. Greats names from NJ.

Post a Comment