Thank You!

Posted by Elena B. , Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:57 PM

I just have to say a huge thank you to everyone who replied to my last post! I never was really sure why I started this blog in the first place until now. It was so I could be a part of this community of people that share similar interests and experiences in relation to Brazil and Brazilians. I wrote my last post searching for some advice and guidance, but I never expected to get so many responses and to feel so much love and support for everyone! There were a couple people especially who went above and beyond in giving me a ton of advice, even though are simply fellow bloggers that I have never met. I can't tell you all how touched I am and how much it really means to feel so much kindness from so many of you.

As for my plans, well, I'm still figuring it out. I am definitely going to Brazil, and I definitely want to settle in one place, I just have to figure out where. Although I LOVE to travel, and I've been fortunate enough to do a lot of it, I really want to get to know one place well. There are tons of places in Brazil that I'd still liketo visit, and I'm hoping to do a bit of that when I go, but it's not what I want to do for several months and I don't really have the budget for that anyway. At first I was really feeling set on going back to Salvador, but I've been really reconsidering that. I absolutely love the city, but I'm not sure it's worth it to endure all the pain and discomfort of going back there when I could just go somewhere new. At the same time, trying to figure out what other city I'd like to live in and be able to find a job too is daunting. I would love to go somewhere similar to Salvador (particularly on the coast and with similar culture and liveliness), so I'm thinking it would be good to stay in the Northeast.

I'm considering a few places but would love to hear more if anyone has personal experiences or any input on the following places. I'm thinking about Recife/Olinda, because I've heard there's great cultural stuff, lots to do, on the coast, and I think job prospects are good. But I've heard Recife is dangerous (is this more true than Salvador, because I heard that a lot about Salvador, and while it can be dangerous I felt ok most of the time). Plus, aren't the waters there shark infested? I also have heard Joao Pessoa is nice and safe and great beaches, but it seems that there are lots of foreigners there and finding work teaching english would be hard, plus I wonder if it would get boring because it's a smaller city. These three cities are within a couple hours of each other (Recife and Olinda are right next door) so I like the idea of spending my first couple weeks in Brazil visiting these places and at least having a few easy options. Then I'm also considering Natal, Fortaleza, and Maceio, but I don't know much about these places and they seem to get mixed reviews. These cities are further spread out though and I would have to just go to onevand then if I didn't like it I'd have to spend lots of money to go somewhere else.

So...if anyone knows anything about these cities or has any other suggestions of where to go, please let me know!

Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart,
Elena

6 Response to "Thank You!"

Tracy Says:

Oi Elena,

I've been in a relationship with a brasileiro, too, so I know how hard they are to get over! rsrs

About where to go in the NE, I don't know all the cities, but I can give my humble opinion on a few. I've been to Belem PA, Fortaleza CE, and Recife/Olinda PE. Fortaleza has nice beaches near by, but I didn't particularly like the city. Belem is great but a little out of the way. My pick would be Recife/Olinda. If you're nervous about crime, just stay in Olinda. There's a frequent bus line going back and forth and it's only 20 minutes away. Recifenses are some of the nicest, coolest Brazilians I've met (and that's saying something!). Pernambuco beaches are some of the best in the country, too. And the culture there is incredible. So different from anywhere else!

Hope that helps a bit.

Beijos,
Tracy

Elena B. Says:

Hi Tracy,
Thanks so much for your input! I'm definitely leaning towards Recife/Olinda (and considering Joao Pessoa too), so I think I'm gonna buy my ticket there and spend a bit of time in all three places, then decide where to stay. And it's nice to see a new name in the comments :)

Adam Says:

Hi Elena,

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the Dec. 7th news! You're in an interesting yet tough spot. All the extra reasons (baring the previously principal reason) you want to go to Brazil for are great reasons and you'll learn a lot no matter where you go but obviously shoot for the moon. It's not worth it to do something, anything of import and not go for the gold. I went to Belém, like Tracy, and eventually ended up not in "Caipiropolis" (as Danielle calls it) but in "Caipirnema" (Capanema, PA) in the middle of nowhere and while it taught me a ton about what most of Brazil is probably like outside the big cities, my life would have been oh-so different then and now if I had done what I planned to do (move back to Rio, in my case). As far as that goes, I failed completely and regret it all the time.

One thing I recommend more than anything else, way above any other possible action is to have a good $1K or $2K in reserve for emergencies. This can be a freakin' life-saver. To be clear, my regret is not so much about my choice of where to visit or live, etc, but about not having that extra cash to be able to have and consider other options (ways to stay in Brazil or return home, if need be).

While I haven't yet been to Recife/Olinda, I somehow wish to 'second' that choice because I've not only heard good things about it but its not a bad place logistically, as Tracy mentions (Tracy from Sacramento?).

Anyways, those are my first thoughts on the matter. It's a big step but it will teach you so much about yourself.

Abraços

Anonymous Says:

Sure thing!

Olhos Azuis
http://rapidezfilmes.blogspot.com/2010/12/blog-post_8169.html

I'd go for the last two links in red. Soon as you click on them, click stop on your browser (so the page doesn't load fully) and then erase everything in the URL that comes before the Megaupload part at the end...otherwise the link will try to get you to take some stupid survey.

Tracy Says:

Elena,

Glad to help in any way.

Hi Adam! Yep, that's me, Tracy in Sacramento. I hope my timing works out one of these days and I can make it out to SF for one of the Brazilian Portuguese meetup events and we can practice our language skills together.

nicki Says:

Come to SP! I'm an American lady here almost 6 years. I am now braking up tooo! Sucksss. I can help you have fun in SP

Post a Comment